An update on returning to in-person game sessions
Exclamation 
As I promised in my last update, we’ve begun discussion around a return to in-person games. In the interest of transparency, I wanted to inform all of you about the discussions at this point.

First, on May 14th, the Executive Director of the Organized Play Foundation made an official statement regarding a return to physical play. The crux of that statement is as follows:
  • Find out what the venue’s or event’s restrictions are for physical play
    • Adhere to the venue’s or event’s restrictions
    • If you feel the restrictions are excessive, approach the Venture-Officer responsible for the venue or event to discuss it.  If enough players feel that way, the Venture-Officer can take it to venue or event management to discuss obtaining a written waiver to permit Organized Play games to take place with lessened restrictions.
    • If you feel the restrictions in place are not enough for your comfort but would be comfortable with something over and above what the venue or event requires, approach the Venture-Officer responsible for the venue or event to discuss it.  If enough players feel that way, the Venture-Officer can take it to venue or event management and ask to have table-specific restrictions in place to be eligible to participate in OP tables at the venue or event.  This agreement should be in writing and should indicate that the venue or event is willing to back the Venture-Officer should there be any complaints about the additional restrictions
    • Venture-Officers and Game Masters are not responsible for enforcing venue or event restrictions, but are responsible for enforcing any table restrictions not set by the venue or event.
    • If a venue or event is not willing to accept requests that will make the Venture-Officer, Game Masters, and Players comfortable with physical play, the Venture-Officer may refuse to hold physical games at that location and request to be considered for future events.
    • All restrictions must be clearly communicated to attendees ahead of the event.
    • All Game Masters and Players must agree to adhere to the restrictions or be turned away.
    • Venture-Officers and Game Masters are free to cancel a game at any time (including during the game) if the venue or event’s behavior around safety restrictions makes them uncomfortable engaging in physical play at the venue or event. 
      • Players at sessions that are canceled while in play have the option to request either a full chronicle sheet as though they had completed the session or that the interrupted session not have their information included in reporting so they can be eligible to run through the adventure in the future.
      • If an event is canceled due to health and safety concerns, the Venture-Officer responsible for the venue or event should communicate with the venue or event, copying their Venture-Lieutenant or Venture-Captain that details the issues that led to cancellation.
This led me to reach out to each of the remaining venues previously active for GA PFS in Atlanta to find out their health and safety precautions. Below is what I’ve received to date, either by direct contact with the venues or by statements of the Venture-Officers responsible for the venues.

Giga-Bites
Effective 5/15/21
Allowing events again
Changes effective 5/24:
Adding TTRPG tables (losing about 3)
Masks required except when eating or drinking (possible end date June 18)
Removing 50 person capacity cap
Requirement to remain 6’ apart becomes a recommendation
Level-Up
Effective 4/18/21
No safety requirements - only a suggestion that patrons wear masks
New space as of 5/14
More room in new space and more spread out
When RPG rooms are up and running within the next month, may have even more space.
HobbyTown USA
Message sent 5/15
Titan
Message sent 5/15
Wasteland
Effective 5/15/21
Not currently permitting in-person events.
Moving to a new space in June and will look to resume in-person sessions then.
When open to games in store again, masks will be required.
My Parents’ Basement
Message sent 5/15
Manuel’s Tavern
Message sent 5/15
Mask required when not eating
No distancing possible due to table seating

Additionally, DragonCon announced on the 17th an intent to hold an in-person convention this year, though it may be in a limited attendance capacity or have other health and safety requirements implemented when it comes around.

So, where does that leave us?

With two venues offering in-person sessions and two more potentially coming back online for in-person sessions next month, we’ve gotten a step closer to a return to physical games.

There is another step I want us to take to get us ready to return to face to face games – a survey. I’ve created an anonymous survey that I intend to send out to the lodge to determine the willingness and comfort level going back to physical games (while still maintaining an online gaming presence). That survey is not quite ready for prime time yet, as I just shared it with the venture-officers tonight and asked for their review and input on any changes I need to make to the document before I release it to everyone. Though none of the questions are required, nor is participation, I would like to encourage everyone to take the time to participate and provide your invaluable feedback. The data collected will go a long way to helping the Venture-Officers determine if their venues’ player / GM base wants specific health and safety requirements in place before they return to the tables.

As always, if you have questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me to discuss.