Path forward for Atlanta
I apologize to everyone in advance for not saying anything publicly before now, but I do feel there is a need to update the community on where we stand.

As you all know, the COVID-19 Pandemic is still gripping the world and our area, even if that grip is loosening. When the pandemic began last year, many members of our gaming community expressed having no desire to expose themselves willingly to the virus by in-person play. In an effort to support the needs of the community and to provide the safe gaming experience we are all charged with as part of the Organized Play Community Conduct Policy, Organized Play Management suspended the requirement for Venture-Officers at all levels to run any in-person events and suggested moving all activity for OP online. Most of the venues where we hosted events, following guidance from the CDC on limiting exposure via large groups, stopped hosting in-person games. Conventions moved online. Everyone’s world and gaming experience changed.

With things beginning to slowly open back up, Organized Play’s guidance has been to follow what the experts have to say and to proceed with caution. All Federal, State, County, and Municipal regulations, and rules of each venue must be followed. The decision on going back to in-person events is one to be made at the local level rather than by Organized Play. I’ve been watching the numbers since this started. Even though they’re showing improvement, they are nowhere near a level where I would be comfortable to throw caution to the wind and go back to the stores fully. Even if the numbers were to make me comfortable, to do so would be doing a disservice to all of you and to Organized Play. I’ve been in communication with the Venture-Officers, our Regional Venture-Coordinator (Doug Edwards), and Organized Play Management since taking on the role of Venture-Captain in January, so, by policy, it’s ultimately up to me when to go back live in Atlanta, but I refuse to make this decision in a vacuum as what makes me comfortable is not what makes each of you comfortable.

To that end, I felt it appropriate to share my plan for reopening in Atlanta.

Start looking closely at the numbers in June
I’m looking at multiple sites to gather data that includes vaccination rates, ICU capacity, infection rates, etc.
I work as an IT Analyst, so I look at data and make decisions based on the available information all day. I am taking the same approach to this as I do at work.

Have conversations with the venues to see who’s allowing in-person events and what safety precautions they will require at that time
Giga-Bites, Level-Up, and HobbyTown USA are all doing so at this time
Giga-Bites has a mask rule they are enforcing and are not permitting consumption of food or beverages inside the store.
HobbyTown USA is taking reservations for their upstairs room to permit socially distanced games to be run.
Level-Up is moving to a new location in May, which should provide more space to permit socially distanced games
We will adhere to any rule set by the venue to have our event there, including if the venue requires vaccinations to attend an event.
Any venue that is not taking or mandating any safety precautions (masks, temperature checks, hand washing, socially distant gaming, etc.) will be deemed by me to be unsafe and I will not sanction a return at that time.
Organized Play policy is that we do not have the authority to stop in-person events at any location, however, we do not have to offer Organized Play support at that venue, and that includes the Regional Support Program.
Before anyone mentions that Level-Up has continued to offer in-person events, we have already taken the above step of calling these events as not sanctioned as part of the Regional Support Program. This will be reevaluated after their move to their new space and as things open up more.

Get feedback from the lodge (Venture-Officers, Game Masters, and Players) to get a “temperature check” on the desire and willingness to resume in-person events, even if in a limited capacity
Have further discussions with the Venture-Officers about any additional rules we would enforce, if any.
Organized Play has indicated we cannot require proof of vaccination at publicly held events, but private events where we are hosting and renting the space are a different story.
Organized Play has also stated that we can make additional precautionary rules around a return to in-person sessions, but that also means we are responsible to enforce those rules.
Continue offering online gaming
Organized Play has indicated and suggested that reopening for in-person be a blended format of both in-person and online options. This will allow players who desire to go in-person as well as those who would prefer to play online from home to participate.
Precedent has already been set to have Venture-Officers in each lodge who run online sessions. I feel there is value in continuing to offer online sessions going forward as a semi-permanent to permanent fixture of our community.

Consider alternatives
Weather permitting, consider the possibility of hosting events in a public park or somewhere outdoors (CDC guidance suggests avoidance of areas where there is not adequate ventilation or open doors / windows as a way to lessen the potential to contract COVID).

As with most plans, this one is fluid and subject to change. This is all being considered purely for the safety of all members of the lodge and the greater community. It’s all based on following the science and is not influenced in any way by fear, any personal religious or political beliefs; it is being done out of an abundance of caution.. I look at this as though COVID is Jaws, I’m Sheriff Brody, and all of you are the potential Alex Kentners. I don’t want any avoidable problems, and this is an avoidable problem.

If you have any issues with any of this, feel free to reach out to me to discuss it further. If you’re still not satisfied, you can reach out to Doug (appaRVC@gmail.com), and if you feel the need to press further, you can reach out to Paizo Organized Play (organizedplay@paizo.com).

Thanks, and stay safe.

Joel
Venture-Captain Atlanta
As an update, OP has indicated we are not permitted to place additional restrictions for participation on events. We can, however, attempt to work with the venue to have them add it, if they are willing. OPF would be accepting liability to allow otherwise. They also stated if a venue is unwilling to set a regulation we feel is necessary they encourage and support us remaining online until the venue is willing to do so.

I’m waiting for feedback from Tonya specific to private events, since that would fall outside the purview of any specific venue.
All,

As of the RVC meeting last night, there has been a clarification I feel I should share with all of you.

When it comes to public events that are advertised on any OP outlet (these Forums, our Discord, the Facebook group / page, the group Warhorn page, or any other avenue associated with Paizo Organized Play), the VOs, GMs and players are not permitted to make any rules above what the venue requires.  

Private events, even if held at a public venue, do permit us to make our own rules, but, doing so makes it essentially a home game and ineligible for the Retail Incentive Program or Regional Support Program.  Private events must use their own non-RSP tied event number for reporting on Paizo's website (even if it is held at a retail establishment where we would otherwise host both the RIP and RSP qualified events), however, they cannot be actively recruited using any OP outlet (as listed above) nor can any VO recruiting for these games use any OP material or their VO titles to do so.

As always, feel free to reach out to me, Doug, or OP Management if you have questions or concerns.

Joel