Lore Speculation - FTL Communications
I could be misinterpreting something from p 430, Communication, but is very much akin to Traveller's Postal Union and Imperial X-Boat (no FTL means of communication other than Drift travel exists), and good news everyone! - It implies that 'mail run' is a very valid SFS mission scope.

So...what throws me is this service in Guide to Organized Play:

Have your body recovered by a rescue team 5 Fame

I find that plausible in Near Space, but once you travel to the Vast (as explorers are wont to do) I can't help but feel that distress signals are super wishful thinking and escape pods really just mean you get to die on a planet instead of asphyxiating in vacuum.  

Are they implying something like a Drift-enabled distress buoy gets launched prior to a hull breach exists?  SPOILER ALERT - a scenario implies the tech doesn't exist.

As a corollary, I'd assume that SFS encourages filing detailed flight plans when expeditions to the Vast are launched, and deviation from said plans is discouraged as otherwise recoverable setbacks would rapidly escalate to 'Ship Lost with All Hands'.
Wasteland Gaming Liaison

An updated list of what I've played and GM-ed is at: https://www.pfstracker.net/#/players/1964/report