Some key learnings from the first session on Fantasy Grounds
  • As an open Beta, it still has some quirks and glitches
  • It is not the most easily navigated or intuitive application to use
  • There can be updates pushed 20 minutes or less after you already checked for and applied updates.
  • If a player has not created their character on a local version of the application and need to create them on the server on the fly, even if you have loaded Resources for the players to use, they will need to also load them locally to gain access to those resources.
  • Unity does not add modifiers and rolls to give a total by default, meaning you have to right click and select display sum on each roll or do the math.
  • Lag and delays happen, especially as more people join games on the platform
  • Working with maps can be a little quirky, as I kept running into an issue on one map where I could not put any tokens on it.  I’m not sure what setting I changed that finally allowed it to work, but it took some doing.
  • The entire Fantasy Grounds server was impacted at one point where it stopped responding and would not let anyone reconnect for a while.
  • Players will need to be instructed on selecting targets in the application, which will allow Fantasy Grounds to calculate hits, misses, and apply damage
  • If the GM shares something publicly with the players from the game and it does not pop up on the screen for them, it will appear if they go to images and look for it.
  • On the Discord side, voice occasionally drops out, so players will need to disconnect and reconnect to the voice server to restore service at times
The modifiers not adding is not a problem we ran into previously. Either that is a setting local to your game or Starfinder vs 2e, as the modifiers were adding properly in Liam's game.

The sharing also worked for Liam in the previous game, so maybe connect with him to see if you can figure out what was different around how he was pushing the images/maps.
The modifier issue is definitely a Starfinder vs. 2E thing, as 2E has the sum option in the settings where Starfinder does not. It may be a future enhancement, but it's not there yet.

I'll definitely talk to Liam about it. With it not always showing up when I selected share, I am looking to see if there's a bug report on it in the forums.
I posted the question about the die roll totals in the Fantasy Grounds College group on Facebook and was told there was a recent hotfix pushed out for this. I'll update my copy of the client and see what happens.
I can confirm the hotfix has been applied and works. Die rolls do now show the total instead of just the die roll.
Yay, confirming core functionality
A more recent key learning in dealing with Fantasy Grounds - do not load all modules you need for your session at startup. At the end of each session, unload everything save maybe one or two modules. After establishing a session (and preferably prior to players connecting), load the rest of the modules you will want / need. Too much data at once causes your session to not be established properly or show up / be accessible for players to join.