Starfinder Differences
Due to the nature of how differently Hit Points work in SF compared to PF (the existence of SP), healing works quite differently.

Spell gems exist (which are like scrolls) and you can get multiple castings in a single gem, but a spell gem of a 1st level spell costs 140 credit while a Serum of Healing costs 50 credits. The spell gem of Mystic Cure Level 1 (140 credits) would heal for 1d8+Wisdom Modifier of the Mystic who casts it and you would need a Mystic to be able to use it. Serum of Healing Mk 1 (50 credits) heals for 1d8 and anyone can use it. With the cost difference, it would mean that on average the Mystic casting from a spell gem would need a +8.1 (can round to +8) wisdom modifier to make up for the cost different on a pure credit basis, which is not possible in this system until level 20 assuming a starting stat of 18.

Therefore, Serum of Healing Mk 1 is more efficient credit-wise.

Add that to the fact that you can't spend Fame to buy healing items like you could with Prestige in PFS, a bunch of Serum of Healing Mk 1 it is.

However, I don't forsee needing as much healing because of the existence of Stamina Points, which can't be healed by healing items. The only ways to heal Stamina is to take a 10 minute rest and use 1 Resolve Point to restore all your stamina, or have an Envoy who has the ability to heal Stamina heal you in battle (which they can only do once/person until you take a 10 minute rest). There are other classes that have abilities to heal their own stamina, but nothing for the other party members.

But really, the most cost efficient thing you could do is take the Medicine skill and be able to heal yourself using 1 minute of care. You can only do this once/day unless you have a medical lab, but a basic medkit is 100 credits and reusable.

TLDR; Serum of Healing Mk 1 heals for 1d8 and costs 50 credits and is the most cost-efficient out-of-combat reliable healing, but you probably won't need as much healing in SF as you did in PF. My first character bought 3 to start off. You can't use Fame (which is the new Prestige points) to buy healing items. For maximum cost effectiveness, you need either the Medicine skill or a Mystic, but the Serum of Healing Mk 1 is the most reliable.
A tidbit re Spellgems:

Spell Chip modules for your computer are a great way to save a few credits for spells you might want to cast multiple times in your career, but not often enough to burn a spells known pick on. The initial module costs 10% more than the base Spell Gem, but you can reload the spell for 10% less; basically, the first time you reload it you break even, and it's 10% off from then on. 

I'm not sure whether using a Spell Chip would save you from AoOs for spell casting; using a Spell Gem seems to basically be casting a spell, but a Spell Chip might fall under using a device.
(09-05-2017, 04:12 PM)dbrain Wrote: A tidbit re Spellgems:

Spell Chip modules for your computer are a great way to save a few credits for spells you might want to cast multiple times in your career, but not often enough to burn a spells known pick on. The initial module costs 10% more than the base Spell Gem, but you can reload the spell for 10% less; basically, the first time you reload it you break even, and it's 10% off from then on. 

I'm not sure whether using a Spell Chip would save you from AoOs for spell casting; using a Spell Gem seems to basically be casting a spell, but a Spell Chip might fall under using a device.

The other reason to pick up a Spell Chip is for the Sweet, sweet +2 competence bonus when using a skill related to the spell you cast it on. Comprehend Languages looks to be one that would benefit from this bonus....
See my gaming stuff at https://tmf.space
(09-05-2017, 04:12 PM)dbrain Wrote: A tidbit re Spellgems:

Quote:Spell Chips

It is possible to create Spell gems in the form of chips that can be slotted into a computer system. A user capable of utilizing an equivalent Spell gem with access to the computer in which such Spell chips are installed can cast the related Spells whenever controlling the computer and gains a +2 circumstance bonus to any skill check involving these Spells. Spell chips cost 110% of a Spell gem (page 224) with the same Spells. When a Spell is expended from a Spell chip, the chip itself is not destroyed, and the Spells can be reloaded into the Spell chip for 90% of the normal price of a new Spell chip.

Quote:Spell Gem

Consisting of one or more lattices of carefully arranged lines of rare metal and bits of precious stone in a silicon casing, each lattice in a Spell gem is encoded with magical writings equivalent to the casting of a single, specific Spell. Holding a Spell gem in your hand unlocks little-used portions of your mind, granting you the ability to temporarily cast the Spell encoded within the gem without using up your daily Spell slots. You must hold the Spell gem in your hand throughout the Spell’s casting time and must spend at least a standard action using the Spell gem, even if the Spell’s casting time is shorter. Each Spell stored within a Spell gem can be cast only once, after which the magic encoded within the Spell gem’s lattice is forever expended.

They both say cast - which is a significant change from Pathfinder.   So they would incur AOO.   Had this come up at Dcon with the spell gems on the Welcome boon and we agreed at the table that it was an AOO.
Yeah, yeah, here's my list:  https://www.pfstracker.net/#/players/43407/
(09-01-2017, 02:33 PM)Andrew Roberts Wrote: Due to the nature of how differently Hit Points work in SF compared to PF (the existence of SP), healing works quite differently.

Spell gems exist (which are like scrolls) and you can get multiple castings in a single gem, but a spell gem of a 1st level spell costs 140 credit while a Serum of Healing costs 50 credits. The spell gem of Mystic Cure Level 1 (140 credits) would heal for 1d8+Wisdom Modifier of the Mystic who casts it and you would need a Mystic to be able to use it. Serum of Healing Mk 1 (50 credits) heals for 1d8 and anyone can use it. With the cost difference, it would mean that on average the Mystic casting from a spell gem would need a +8.1 (can round to +8) wisdom modifier to make up for the cost different on a pure credit basis, which is not possible in this system until level 20 assuming a starting stat of 18.

Therefore, Serum of Healing Mk 1 is more efficient credit-wise.

Add that to the fact that you can't spend Fame to buy healing items like you could with Prestige in PFS, a bunch of Serum of Healing Mk 1 it is.

However, I don't forsee needing as much healing because of the existence of Stamina Points, which can't be healed by healing items. The only ways to heal Stamina is to take a 10 minute rest and use 1 Resolve Point to restore all your stamina, or have an Envoy who has the ability to heal Stamina heal you in battle (which they can only do once/person until you take a 10 minute rest). There are other classes that have abilities to heal their own stamina, but nothing for the other party members.

But really, the most cost efficient thing you could do is take the Medicine skill and be able to heal yourself using 1 minute of care. You can only do this once/day unless you have a medical lab, but a basic medkit is 100 credits and reusable.

TLDR; Serum of Healing Mk 1 heals for 1d8 and costs 50 credits and is the most cost-efficient out-of-combat reliable healing, but you probably won't need as much healing in SF as you did in PF. My first character bought 3 to start off. You can't use Fame (which is the new Prestige points) to buy healing items. For maximum cost effectiveness, you need either the Medicine skill or a Mystic, but the Serum of Healing Mk 1 is the most reliable.

I saw about six instances of healing - including one channel.  Serum was the least used since it wasn't renewable.
Added a few more differences. Still a work in progress but it's getting there.
(09-06-2017, 08:31 PM)liamfish Wrote: They both say cast - which is a significant change from Pathfinder.   So they would incur AOO.   Had this come up at Dcon with the spell gems on the Welcome boon and we agreed at the table that it was an AOO.

I pretty much agree. What about cases where the computer with the Spell Chip is in a different location than the person activating it? Remote access is a thing, after all.
(09-07-2017, 04:51 PM)dbrain Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 08:31 PM)liamfish Wrote: They both say cast - which is a significant change from Pathfinder.   So they would incur AOO.   Had this come up at Dcon with the spell gems on the Welcome boon and we agreed at the table that it was an AOO.

I pretty much agree. What about cases where the computer with the Spell Chip is in a different location than the person activating it? Remote access is a thing, after all.

So, remote access spell gems for healing?

"Hey, what is this personal comm doing lying here?" followed by Fireball.
See my gaming stuff at https://tmf.space
(09-07-2017, 05:04 PM)TheMaskedFerret Wrote:

Or you could have them on a computer and access it via a commlink?

It says it enables you to cast the spell, so it would be at your location with you doing the dance and taking the risks.
(09-07-2017, 08:44 PM)liamfisher Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 05:04 PM)TheMaskedFerret Wrote:

Or you could have them on a computer and access it via a commlink?

It says it enables you to cast the spell, so it would be at your location with you doing the dance and taking the risks.

Yeah, maybe even have every caster in the party subscribe to the computer, so they all have access to the team's cache of Spell Chips, rather than purchasing redundant copies just to make sure that whoever needs it has one available (Remove Condition and Mystic Cure IV, I'm looking at you). Also, you just have to hold your computer/commlink to have access to your whole cache, rather than needing to spend actions retrieving the proper Spell Gem.

Its tough to get Pathfinder scroll mechanics out of my head. I think Spell Gems always use the caster's caster level and ability modifier, rather than being set by the creator.