Online Gaming Tips and Advice
PF2 Glyph 
So, at this point we have added additional voice channels to the GAPFS discord - and two dice bots.  Dice Maiden and Dash Delta.

Here is an invite  LINK TO OUR DISCORD SERVER

Other articles and items will follow.

Let's keep gaming folks   Cool

-- Liam
Yeah, yeah, here's my list:  https://www.pfstracker.net/#/players/43407/
Ironically, I may be able to game more now than in the era of "sitting at a table someplace".

Having done ZERO gaming, and just to clarify: is Discord an alternative to Roll20? Or do they work together? (I mostly know Discord as a gamer's chat application).

(I guess my assumption is that one runs the game via Roll20 but talks over Discord?)

DCH
(03-29-2020, 03:06 PM)dhaller99 Wrote: Ironically, I may be able to game more now than in the era of "sitting at a table someplace".

Having done ZERO gaming, and just to clarify: is Discord an alternative to Roll20? Or do they work together? (I mostly know Discord as a gamer's chat application).

(I guess my assumption is that one runs the game via Roll20 but talks over Discord?)

DCH

It honestly all depends on what works best for you.

Most people seem to gravitate toward Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds for the VTT (Virtual Table Top).  For Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds, Discord or some other voice enabled chat program would be used for the voice aspect (though using voice is not required).

There are channels within Discord that are dedicated to play by Discord.  Cosmic Crittermanders and Roll for Combat being the two I'm most familiar with.

There is also the play by post option which I have seen being done on the Paizo forums.

Long winded answer to your question.  Short answer is yes-ish.
I would say that my experience with Fantasy Grounds recently has made it very clear that having voice chat on a separate stable platform (Discord) is a VERY good idea. We have to restart the Fantasy Grounds "server" every few hours (sometimes at around the 1 hour mark) and so it's good to run voice chat through something that this not dependent on that connection.
(03-31-2020, 08:52 AM)Doonamis Wrote: I would say that my experience with Fantasy Grounds recently has made it very clear that having voice chat on a separate stable platform (Discord) is a VERY good idea.  We have to restart the Fantasy Grounds "server" every few hours (sometimes at around the 1 hour mark) and so it's good to run voice chat through something that this not dependent on that connection.

Based on your feedback, as well as that of Brainard and Liam, that's the only way I will run on Fantasy Grounds - with a Discord voice chat going simultaneously.
(03-31-2020, 10:31 AM)LokiTheWanderer Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 08:52 AM)Doonamis Wrote: I would say that my experience with Fantasy Grounds recently has made it very clear that having voice chat on a separate stable platform (Discord) is a VERY good idea.  We have to restart the Fantasy Grounds "server" every few hours (sometimes at around the 1 hour mark) and so it's good to run voice chat through something that this not dependent on that connection.

Based on your feedback, as well as that of Brainard and Liam, that's the only way I will run on Fantasy Grounds - with a Discord voice chat going simultaneously.

While I 100% agree with continuing to use Discord as the voice channel, I would like to point out that in my experience FG has been very stable the past month or so.  It seems that they have adapted to the large influx of new users.  We no longer require periodic restarts - and even had a 15 hour marathon session with no issues (aside from everyone's general need for sleep by the end of it).

Now that I have gotten used to it, I have found the online experience (specifically VTT+Voice Chat) actually works REALLY well.  Another month of this, and I'll have forgotten what everyone looks like in the real world - and I may just start associating everyone's character profiles with their real life visage.