Summoner questions, PF1E
So gonna start with I am new to playing in PFS, looking to make my first few characters and I want to start with recreating a character I played around family, a synthesist summoner halfling. I'm not the greatest at navigating online resources and I'm not sure if the class archetype is legal for society play. Either way I'd also like opinions on development of the character, I never played him with magic items as all the games I got to play him in where super low magic settings and he also only got to 5the level so his feats and such where never fleshed out.
(02-19-2020, 01:54 PM)Sheplord Wrote: So gonna start with I am new to playing in PFS, looking to make my first few characters and I want to start with recreating a character I played around family, a synthesist summoner halfling. I'm not the greatest at navigating online resources and I'm not sure if the class archetype is legal for society play. Either way I'd also like opinions on development of the character, I never played him with magic items as all the games I got to play him in where super low magic settings and he also only got to 5the level so his feats and such where never fleshed out.

Hey Sheplord, 

You sent me a question via messaging, but you've got private messages disabled on here so it wouldn't let me send a reply. Please enable it or give me another way to send you the answers I wrote up.

As for your question here, the original summoner was banned for PFS due to being overpowered and now if you want to play a summoner you have to play an "unchained" version, so called because it's found in the book Pathfinder Unchained. That's all for PF1e, which is still being played at some venues in the area, but there's also a lot of activity happening for PF2e, which is still in its first season. There's no summoner (yet) in PF2e, but there probably are more 2e games currently being offered locally, though at My Parents' Basement (and some other venues) we are still all PF1e.

Hope this helps.
An updated list of what I've played and GM-ed is at: https://www.pfstracker.net/#/players/100198/report

PFS ID: 100198
Synthesist let you have great mental and physical stats with minimal drawbacks. As Abraham mentioned, If you want to play a Summoner in PFS you have to play an Unchained Summoner.
There are other good PFS legal options for summoning though.
The Acadamae Graduate feat is one of the easiest.

You can't play your old character in PFS but we can help you build a new character if you tell us what you want it to do.
(02-19-2020, 06:17 PM)Edward McGee Wrote: Synthesist let you have great mental and physical stats with minimal drawbacks. As Abraham mentioned, If you want to play a Summoner in PFS you have to play an Unchained Summoner.
There are other good PFS legal options for summoning though.
The Acadamae Graduate feat is one of the easiest.

You can't play your old character in PFS but we can help you build a new character if you tell us what you want it to do.

Well that's what I'm wondering about, I wasnt sure if the unchained summoner could use the synthsist archetype, I designed the character to multi class as a kineticist to add some flavor and balance out the easy to abuse synthesist. I'm having a difficult time navigating the resources and seeing what's legal and not. When reading the written books I didnt catch what decides if old archetypes are viable on unchained classes so clarification would be helpful. Other than that I'm very curious as to ideas for making my first character a flavorful and interesting character, I'm a lover for halfling and enjoy having options over raw power.
The official document for knowing what's legal and what isn't is the Additional Resources document on the paizo website. But as you note, it's hard to work with. A much easier way is to use the Archives of Nethys website, which puts a little glyph of the open road icon next to every option that is PFS-legal.
An updated list of what I've played and GM-ed is at: https://www.pfstracker.net/#/players/100198/report

PFS ID: 100198
Archives of Nethys link
How is the eidolon evolution points pool interrupted by PFS? When I got to play one the GM ruled that the points displayed in chart was points available in total including past used points, however I've heard it that its supposed to be read as points gained per level.
Quote:Evolution Pool: The value given in this column is the total number of points in the eidolon's evolution pool. Points from this pool can be spent on a wide variety of modifications and upgrades that add new abilities, attacks, and powers to the eidolon. Whenever the summoner gains a level, the number in this pool increases and the summoner can spend these points to change the abilities of the eidolon. These choices are not set. The summoner can change them whenever he gains a level (and through the transmogrify spell).

So for example at level 4 your eidolon has an evolution pool of of 3. It can have 3 points total worth of evolutions. At level 5 that pool goes up to 4 points. You can add a 1 point evolution or it can lose it's current abilities and you can spend those 4 points some other way.

From what I hear the Unchained eidolon is not as good in combat as the old version but they can make very good skill monkeys.

Unchained Summons - Guide to Unchained Summoner