Volunteers for DragonCon
Attention Pathfinders!
It is that time of year again, where we begin to recruit GMs for the wonderful experience that is DragonCon.  As most of you know, I am David Shaw, the Venture Lieutenant from Athens, GA.  I have been helping with DragonCon for the last five years, and it now falls to me to run the event for Pathfinder Society.  This year is going to be a little different, in that I have attached a Google form for you to fill out your requests for time, tables, etc.  However, since that is simply a series of questions, it is VERY important for you to read the entirety of this email, so you understand what is being asked of you.  As always, we cannot express enough our appreciation for what you do for PFS and DragonCon by volunteering for this event.

What is being a volunteer?

It is very important to me that this is about more than just getting a free badge.  We are going to represent PFS and DragonCon by being volunteers, and this may be someone’s first and only experience with Pathfinder or tabletop RPGs in general.  To that end, I want to give them the best experience possible.  Understand that a bad experience at one of our tables may drive that player not only away from Pathfinder Society, but from RPGs and maybe DragonCon itself.  So please bring your best attitude to the table to show both respect for the convention and the game

What do I expect from you as a volunteer?

As you can imagine, it is not easy organizing all the Pathfinder Society at DragonCon, so we need your help as much as possible to make this the best experience for the players and the GMs as well.  In order to make that happen we request of you the following:

1)      Show up ON TIME- It goes without saying that we need you to show up, but in addition, we need you to check in with the GM HQ 15 minutes before the start of your slot.  This is ON TIME.  If you arrive at the start of the slot, you will be marked as late.

2)      Show up prepared- We will have a copy of all the scenarios being run as well as chronicle sheets, reporting sheets, etc.  YOU are responsible for everything else.  We will have some minis and maps to be loaned out, but you should have all of that prepared already to make sure you have the best table possible. 

3)      Show up rested- I know the con can be exhausting and I am not here telling you how to take care of yourself, but make sure you are rested enough to run your table WELL, not just passably.  If you are tired and hungover, you are going to make it a bad time for yourself and your players.

4)      Show up excited- I don't want to be all negatives here.  Some the most fun I have ever had at a table has been at conventions, including DragonCon.  So, come ready to have fun, and enjoy the experience.

What do I get as volunteer compensation?

1)      Downloads of any scenarios that you run at the convention;

2)      Ability to play other PFS games for free (one table per game run);[Ma1] 

3)      A free DragonCon 2017 badge (if you run at least 5 slots)

4)      Opportunity to win a free badge for DragonCon 2018 (explained below)

5)      Undying (not undead!) love and gratitude of your Georgia PFS Venture Officers. Smile

The Schedule

DragonCon Pathfinder Society will be running from Friday Sept 1st to Monday Sept 4th. The slots are:

1)      Friday AM 9am-2pm
2)      Friday Afternoon 2pm-7pm
3)      Friday PM 8pm-1am
4)      Friday Midnight 12am-4am
5)      Saturday AM 9am-1pm
6)      Saturday Afternoon 2pm-7pm
7)      Saturday PM 8pm-1am
8)      Saturday Midnight 12am -4am
9)      Sunday AM 9am-1am
10)   Sunday Afternoon 2pm-7pm
11)   Sunday PM 8pm-1am
12)   Monday 10am-3pm

The slots are 5 hrs., but we expect you to be doing final paperwork at around 4.5 hrs.  As mentioned above, you are expected you to arrive for you slot at least 15 minutes early.  

Midnight slots- As you can see I have scheduled midnight slots for Friday and Saturday.  These slots are usually 21+ and a little more rambunctious then others.  I will only be scheduling the We Be Goblins modules in these slots.  It is also worth noting that you cannot GM both the PM and the midnight slot since they overlap.

Saturday Afternoon and Sunday Afternoon- These (Slots #6 and #10) are the two special slots for this year.  With the exception of intro tables and Starfinder, that is all that will be being run in these slots.  As you can see, the AM slots those days are ending an hour early, so I expect those GMs to arrive 30 minutes before for the briefing instead if the usual 15 minutes.  I have assigned a separate VO to run each of these events, so they will be reaching out to you directly, as soon we complete assignments.

Things that are different about this year’s DragonCon

Intro tables
This year we are going have two tables that are exclusively dedicated to running the newest quest series in one hour slots.  These will have a $1 or 1 generic ticket cost, will not have pre-registrations, and will be running every slot except for the midnight slots.  The sole purpose of these tables is to introduce new players to the game and PFS.  If you like (and are good at) introducing new players to RPGs and PFS, please answer the appropriate question accordingly in the survey.  I am going to be very picky with these tables, so make sure you are ready to justify why you would be good for this environment.

Starfinder
We will be offering the introductory Starfinder Society quests and pregen special at this year’s DragonCon.  If you are interested in running them please answer that question according.  Do understand that some priority will be given to those that were able to play the scenarios at Origins or GenCon, as they will have more experience with the system.

GM Contest
To encourage both GMs and player feedback, we will be sponsoring two contest this year.  We will issue every GM running slips to give to their players at the end of the game.  It will have a google survey link on which the players can answer questions about the session.  We will be giving out one prize for the GM with the most reviews and one prize for the GM with the best reviews.  I will be making sure that nobody games the systems to make it as fair as possible, but it does give those who run more slots an advantage for the first one (they are volunteering more, so I am ok with that.)  Local VOs will not be eligible, as their input may be needed to help review the results.

HERE IS THE SURVEY LINK 

I think that is it for now.  If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot me an email or give me a call.

Thanks,
David Shaw
VL Athens GA
davidshaw73@gmail.com
770-367-4220
VL Athens, GA
davidshaw73@gmail.com
Hey dude.

Wanted to let you know that I ran a few quests at Southern Fried Game Con. While they are generally 45min-1hr for players who already know the game, or at least how to read dice and a sheet, it was closer to 1 1/2 hrs or even 2 hrs when you have to teach someone the entire system from the ground up before you can even play.

Just something to put out there with your email about Dragon-con, and the 1 hr slots for Quests. If you need a reference, Ambush in Absolom was the Quest I ran.

Also, we ran out if new player numbers at SFGC, so if we could have about 20-30 ready to go, with a Card or leaflet that described the method of recording your number/characters in society play, I think that would make the experience far more first time friendly.

Again, just trying to help by giving some advice about what I saw while playing

Also...does anyone know how to use the PM system now? I couldn't select a recipient for this as a PM.
(06-16-2017, 07:03 PM)Nashoba Wrote: Also...does anyone know how to use the PM system now? I couldn't select a recipient for this as a PM.
Well, I tried to PM you instructions, but it's showing you have PMs disabled... that may be part of the problem...

-TimD
PFS ID# 62037
Mostly-correct PFS Tracker info here.

I'll be playing the Specials at GenCon, so I might be interested in running the Specials.

What's the latest you need to know from me?

Tarrintino
There a list of scenarios to chose from?
Also, the local DnD Adventurer's league group has started posting in the Dragon*Con Facebook group. Maybe we should, as well?
See my gaming stuff at https://tmf.space
I don't think I am going to Dcon this year. I was going to run Starfinder stuff if I did, but I don't think I can deal with the crowds.
Yeah, yeah, here's my list:  https://www.pfstracker.net/#/players/43407/
Questions answered:

1) Quests- we will be running Honors Echo or the season 8 equivalent for the quest tables. The slot is 5 hours and generally I could get 3- quest done in a slot with teaching new players at MomoCon. It is not a schedule one hour slot, more of start running when you have enough players to run. The goal is to introduce new players not burn through quests.

2) When I need to know- I have to turn in a list of volunteers Aug 1st, but I will be putting together the schedule in mid-July. As always the earlier the better but if you want a badge, August 1st

3) Scenarios being run- I will be scheduling all of season 8, the three new season 9, two multi table specials, and starfinder. In addition, a sprinkling on old scenarios (that is what I am using the favorite scenario on the questionaire for.

4)Facebook- I am going to get together a facebook post for the weekend for both the GAPFS pages. I will post them to the DragonCon pages as well.
VL Athens, GA
davidshaw73@gmail.com
Filled in Forum.

I'm not staying on site (and have to commute from Acworth), and have a badge through other means so willing to do a couple of slots
on sat and sunday to help out.
My Scenario List is at PFS Tracker
PFS #48026
David any openings to run the specials? How many specials we doing?